Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Giving Back

Today is known as the Giving Day, for the American Red Cross Association. I am a member of the American Red Cross Club here on campus, and I am a nationally recognized volunteer. This week we have been running a blood drive in the MUB which I have been volunteering for. I help people make donation appointments, and make sure they are feeling well after they donate. I recruited my roommate to join the club this year as well. She has been really great at just jumping right into things. At the blood drive yesterday she dressed up as the Mascot, the blood drop, and walked around the MUB encouraging people to donate. She looked absolutely ridiculous, but she was having fun and I admired her for that. Today she decided that she wanted to donate blood herself, and I was shocked. This was very out of character for her, but all she could take about is how its something so small and easy that she can do, and that it is so important to others. One donation at a blood drive can save up to three people's lives. I have been a member of this club since the beginning of last year, and I have never been able to work up the courage to donate. I recently got a tattoo also, so I won't be eligible to donate until next year. After watching Carly do it and see how happy it made her, I think she inspired me to do it next year. No matter how scared you are nothing can beat the satisfaction that you get knowing that an hour of your time will save three people's lives. I encourage everyone to think about donating, or at least volunteer with the Red Cross. They are an outstanding organization and I a, very proud to be apart of it.
   
                                 Image result for american red cross

1 comment:

  1. I saw when you posted this, and I almost went down and gave, but I figured I was still too close having been sick. I haven't given in probably 2 years, but I used to do it regularly. I need to get back to doing that.

    Great organization to be a part of. They do a lot of good things - especially for soldiers.

    ReplyDelete