Friday, April 21, 2017

Making it on your own

Today my mom came up to UNH to bring me a few things that I had left at home over Easter break. We went out to lunch at Libby's and had a pretty interesting conversation. We were talking about how important it is to be able to support oneself financially. I have had a part time job all throughout my college career. The reason for me working wasn't because my parents weren't capable of supporting me, but because I wanted to be able to do it for myself. I didn't want to have to keep asking my parents for money every time I wanted to go out to dinner or buy a new shirt. I must say that ever since I have become financially independent from my parents (for the most part) I have never been more proud of myself. It is a different sort of feeling purchasing things with the money that you worked hard for. It is a new sense of independence and freedom that is so important while you're still young and growing up. It has made me crave more; more hours working, a higher salary, a more reputable job. The struggle between juggling schoolwork along with my work schedule has not been easy. However, I feel as though it has been beneficial for me to go through this struggle now. This is because I am planning on getting my masters degree a few years down the road, and I am going to have to work full time while going to night classes in order to afford it. It will be a much harder feat than it is now, due to the higher intensity of the job and class work load. I am grateful to my parents for everything that they have taught me, but especially how to be hard working and independent.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I've always believed that you aren't really an adult until you provide for yourself. It sounds like you are well on your way. Part of why I joined the Army was to pay for college on my own. My father thought being an English major was a waste of time, so in order to get him off my back, I joined the MA national guard, and UMass waived my tuition. Later, I got an ROTC scholarship. I became an RA to pay for room and board. I figured if I was paying my own way, I could study whatever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally respect this Jess. I started working when I was 16 and have had a part time job all throughout high school and college. I agree with you, it is difficult sometimes to balance work and school but not only do you get to financially support yourself, but you also benefit from the lessons you learn while working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that learning this at a young age is extremely beneficial as it clearly has been for you. I started working as soon as I was 16 because I was so fiercely independent and never wanted to be known as the girl who got everything handed to her. Growing up I constantly heard how cool my dads job was and people have always asked me how much money he makes, and I got a job so no one could call me a "spoiled brat" anymore. Eventually it grew into just taking pride in working and being (somewhat) financially independent. I give you a lot of respect for having gone through the same thing because I know how difficult the balance can be.

    ReplyDelete